W. John MacMullen
Westermann's Chair, 2008
Assemblage. Wooden chair, books, steel hardware, adhesives. 16 x 17 x 33 3/8 in.
(click for larger images)
Westermann's Chair is an homage to H.C. Westermann's (1922-1981) sculpture, Westermann's Table (1966), which I saw in the Smithsonian American Art Museum in May 2008. The books in this assemblage are (top to bottom):
- Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason. Dutton, 1946.
- Henrik Ibsen, A Doll's House; Ghosts. Scribner's, 1914.
- Thomas B. Costain, The Silver Chalice. Doubleday, 1952.
- Robert A. Ferguson, Psychic Telemetry: New Key to Health, Wealth, and Perfect Living. Parker, 1977.
- Hardin Craig, Shakespeare : A Historical and Critical Study with Annotated Texts of Twenty-one Plays. Scott, Foresman, 1931.